Saturday, July 14, 2007

One of these things is not like the other....


Remeber that old Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the other..." where the kids have to find the one thing in 4 that doesn't fit? My sister, Sarah, posted this picture on her blog on Father's Day as a tribute to our dad. It was taken at Sarah's wedding in May (see previous posts). I get a kick out of this picture every time I look at it. Not only do I look nothing like anyone in the picture (or in my entire family for that matter), but I'm standing on the edge and look like the cousin who shoved her way into the picture at the last minute much to the eye rolling of the photographer. Note the brown eyes, same eye shape, similar hair color and style of both my sisters (Hannah on left, Sarah on right)...Need I go on? Had I noticed this marked disparity between my appearance and my family's more as I was growing up, I would have likely felt like I may never fit in anywhere if I couldn't even in my family. But, it has become more and more pronounced as the years go on. Atfter Sarah's wedding shower, hosted by her friends at Amazon, they asked if I was adopted or otherwise biologically unrelated. Our friend, Tim, Robb's best friend from college, has red hair. He always said, "You can't go wrong with a redhead," and I am inclined to agree. He is also the person who told me that we are in the vast minority, only 8% of the American population. So, though I may never really fit in wherever I go, I will have to learn to live with my own quirks and advantages...

No comments: