Saturday, August 05, 2006

Moving Day, July 15, 2006

We really didn't have a choice at this point on moving day. We couldn't hold onto the rental and pay the mortgage on the new house, even though that would be the comfortable thing to do. Five weeks prior to moving in, we had been ripping, hammering, pulling, and tearing out all that we could. Mostly, because we had time and we wanted to get a lot of the dirty work out of the way prior to moving in. We were so tired by moving day, that we felt spent by 10 a.m. that morning. We did pull in help from our Bachelor friend Tim from Portland that day and my father-in-law. To make a long story short, my mother-in-law, Sue, who was watching the two boys locked her keys in the car with it running at Wal-mart of all places and was stuck for an hour while she waited for AAA to come and bail her out. I pulled away from the rental house in the U-Haul truck so tired and deranged that I forgot I had the back still open and the ramp down. It wasn't until I heard the loud scraping noise, as well as Tim yelling at me from his comfortable BMW, that I stopped the car and thought..I shouldn't be driving anymore. We did turn the truck back in without further incident and finished the move, but it was close.

That night, as we sat down in our home with dry wall ripped from the 2 x 4's, it sunk in that we may have bitten off more than we could chew. We didn't have running water in the kitchen along with any kitchen cabinets. Boxes lay around the room as Tim, Reba and I talked about the days events. Now, before I state this next part, those of you without kids may be shocked by the type of things that go on in a house with children. You may need to cover your eyes. Earlier in the day, our 5 year old, Jonah, ran out into the living room with his pants down around his ankles stating that he had a "poop bubble" come out and he needed help wiping. Like the good father I am, I quickly educated him on on the merits of using his voice to call us from the bathroom as I ushered him back to the comode. After that was cleaned up, we thought it was all over.

Now back to the relaxing evening sitting amongst boxes. Reba stood up and walked over to the middle of the floor and leaned over while saying, "I hope this is not what I think it is" as she put her finger in a brown chocolate substance. And yes, you guessed it, a treasure from the days earlier event involving Jonah. As she collapsed in terror and exhaustion by what she had discovered, our single friend Tim used the time to reflect on the joys of being married and having children in your life. He is still shocked to this day by what he saw, heard and smelled late that one evening in July. We haven't talked about it since and probably won't again. Ahhhhh, the joys of moving, being a parent, and spending quality time with close friends, or so we hope. Tim hasn't called much since that fateful night. We are hoping it didn't completely deter him from the thought of every having children in the future.

There are many other stories that we can share from the past three weeks to get you all up to date. Don't you worry. If your life is boring and you need a little lift, have three children and buy a fixer upper. Until next time. Oh and by the way. Those of you who wonder why the blog is labeled "House of Dedons" here is a simple yet quick explanation. When my two older brothers were younger, we wanted to come up with a word for the male anatomy...I know, I know, this is a rare thing for young boys to do but anyway, we did. We thought we were sneaky in naming it Dedon. We thought we could use this in conversation all the time around my parents without them knowing. That didn't work so well but we continued to use it anyway. Now, it is a family word that makes my mother cringe every time she hears it being used off in the distance. Well, with three boys, we thought "House of Dedons" would be appropriate.

Robb

No comments: