Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Life of being absent minded

Who ever said that being absent minded happens in old age. I believe that as cute and loving as children are, they can also suck the memory right from you. Not to blame all of the children out there, but they do a pretty good job of distracting us, making their agenda more important than our own. When I was a child, mom parents would look around the house for things and then promptly say, "One of the kids must have lost that." We all knew that they had in fact lost what they were looking for, but as children you shake your head and say to yourself, "that is really too bad...It is just getting worse."

Much of the time, our children like to hide the remote, phones, keys, etc. Most of the time, they are being "helpful" and when you ask them, they take you to the blanket under their crib and show you where it is. Occasionally, they have no idea. Case in point. The other day, Reba and I couldn't find one of the phones. We looked everywhere, even recruiting the kids to look up in the play area, the pool, and the garage. We even have a page finder that makes the phone beep. Reba was on her way out to do errands and was pulling out of the driveway. I pushed the page finder and made my way into the garage. I thought I heard the beeping, but it was getting farther away and then I didn't hear it again. I looked everywhere in the garage and outside in the driveway, but no such luck. Later that day, Reba pulled back in and I was outside mowing the lawn. I went over and was talking to her as she got out of the car. I looked down on the hood and low and behold, the phone was on the hood of the car, wedged behind the front bumper cover. I pulled it out and Reba and I both lost it. Reba had been driving around for 24 hours doing errands with the phone on the front of our car. We even drove to Poulsbo and back without it flying off. I guess we can't say that the kids had anything to do with this event. Although I would like to blame them, it was me who placed it there the day before. The kids scraped by this time, but I'm sure they've lost something in the past week that we aren't aware of yet.

In my old age of 34, little by little, I am losing ground. I guess I need to start taking my vitamins. Until next time.

Robb

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What happens if you start losing things before you have kids? Who can you blame it on then?

Sarah